7/21/10

MALARIA...


as preparation and planning go against everything i stand for, i generally take a very carefree and risk-taking attitude towards my travel, and prefer to 'learn the hard way'.. and so i ignored several warnings from locals to take precaution against malaria..
while staying at the police station in the mountains on the kalteng/kalbar border i was bitten by mosquito with malaria.. there are 6 types of malaria, 2 are found in borneo.. i got p.vivax and it was tough to fade.. when a mosquito bites someone with malaria it takes with it a small amount of blood containing the parasite, then a week later when it feeds again it transmits the parasite to the next person.. i felt horrible because the whole time i was sick i was getting bitten again and again and i knew i was spreading the disease.. kudangan is a small village without electricity and i used mosquito repelling lotion but it was no use.. the first 2 nights i tried to tough it out and not say anything as i didnt want to be a burden on my friends at the police station who were kind enough to let me crash and feed me.. but on the second night of no sleep, severe headache, and cold sweats i decided to tell them the next morning..
it was the worst night of my life and i wanted to die.. normally i keep a very positive state of mind and generally seldom think of negative things.. but this sleepless night i was having hallucinations and all of my thoughts were about death, torture, or some awful unspeakable thing.. it was terrible.. in the morning i told the guys and they immediately called a doctor (who was gorgeous!) and she took blood then got me medicine.. they took care of the bill and for 2 days my friends kept me laughing and in good spirits.. i owe those guys big time and will never forget what theyve done for me..
the next week riding in the hot sun, dirt roads, and steep hills while recovering would prove extremely difficult, and i got through it only by laughing at myself the whole time and saying to myself 'you wanted a challenge eh!!'

1 comment:

Frank Sarver said...

Mikey, man you best take care of yourself out there! Good to hear your still alive and kickin'. Your journey continues to be unbelievable! Looking forward to having some fat drinks with you someday Mikey. Take care brother!