7/23/10

crossing west kalimantan

two days after seeing the doctor about malaria i hit the road and made my way north a cross west kalimantan.. taking 3 types of pills a day and with many sub-50 km days (30 miles), it was surely the toughest week of the journey to date.. very hot and climbing the steep dirt roads was impossible. the road was often loose rock and my road bike didnt stand a chance, i walked most of the way.. even pushing the bike up the hills was tough and i had to stop often cause i felt like i was going to pass out.. coming down the hills also was hell because i had to squeeze my brakes the whole time as hard as i could.. also the only accessible water was boiled river water so stomach cramps were common..
slept in dayak villages or with the employees at logging camps..
just took my time and kept a positive attitude, again often laughing at myself!


No comments: