6/23/10

first 3 days in borneo...

first 3 days through borneo were tough and the road only gets harder from here.. im going to find the mental and physical test that i was seeking, and then some.. first of all it is hot, like really hot and humid and even with constant sun block my exposed skin is still burning everyday.. also im getting bitten by many mosquitoes risking getting sick with malaria and fevers.. the landscape is jungle with many rivers and the wildlife here is very unique and abundant.. sleeping in the jungle is very dangerous because of snakes and various animals.. in my hammock i would look like a big human flavored banana to a crocodile! so i will try to stay in or near towns as i get west through the even more remote parts.. so far ive spent every night in rural police stations which has been great.. i pull up and say in bahasa:
'permisi, saya dari jauh dan memakai sepeda kelinling kalimantan.. bisa tidur disii?'
(excuse me, im from far away and trying to cross kalimantan on a bike, can i sleep here?)
the officers are so cool and even woke me up on one occasion to watch soccer and drink beer! i sleep on concrete floors and am grateful for even that when i look out into the mysterious and loud jungle.. was woken up the other night by a rat trying ot get into the bag under my head (i stupidly had food in there).. i was startled and i scared the hell out of the rat too.. afterwards i was thinking:
the rat is a mammal who spends his time trying to find food, female counterparts, and a safe place to sleep.. me too!!! we really arent that different and he means me no harm..
a ridiculous thought i admit but it made me feel comfortable enough to quickly fall back asleep before the 4am arabic chanting would wake me up and signal that it was time to start the day..








5 comments:

Alan from Bali said...

Sounds like a real adventure; you are already more hardcore than I will ever be! But do take your malaria pills and steer clear of the wild pigs :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, This sounds like another level of adventure altogether...
Good to see that you're still well and all's cool with you.
Take Care lovely Guy!
Fiona

Anonymous said...

The heat will temper you to new strengths. Its a cool opportunity and you are making good use of it. I envy you.
In the future I may catch you up for some of these adventures. Thinking of you.
Stephen - you're absolutely more crazy.

Stephen

Luthfia Zen said...

Hey Mike, where is your latest updated news??? Sorry that I miss catch you up in Ubud...I was in Jakarta when you were in Ubud...next time when you come to Jakarta, just drop me news. I have family there. Even if Iam in Ubud, I have my family to host you :-)...So, what are you up to now??? In the jungle of Kalimantan??? I hope you have a great adventure there :-)

Firdaus Perwiro said...

Hi Mike,
Me, my wife and children were on holiday. We started on Sunday 27 June from Balikpapan. Overnight in Banjarmasin. Went to Palangka Raya-Sampit on 28 June.
I didn't know that was you. I was passing you on Tuesday 29 June when I drove between Sampit to Kudangan in the mid day, the way between palm oil plantations...
Keep gong mate...