5/18/10

a conversation with my horse...

my horse (my bike) has been incredible for the first 6,000 miles with no major issues requiring repair whatsoever.. however, i had previously planned on getting something more like a mountain bike before heading to southeast asia where the chances of me riding on unsealed roads in poor condition are greater, or so i assumed.. when i broke the news to my horse on the eve of leaving for indonesia, the conversation went as follows:


me 'sweetie can we talk?'
horse 'of course papi, whats on your mind?' (although she is japanese, she talks with a latina accent and calls me papi.. weird)
me 'listen kiddo, its been one helluva journey but, its just, well, ive been thinking and you know southeast asia might be a little much and...'
horse 'shhhhhhhh' she motioned for me to be quiet as if she already knew what i was going ot say 'first of all dont call me kiddo im almost as old as you'
me 'sorry'
horse 'i understand' she wispered
me 'you do?!'
horse 'yea, you just want to hitch hike from here, or take a train or something.. right?'
me 'well actually i was thinking of getting something a little more dirt road friendly.. maybe a'.. my voice drifted off as i turned my head and said under my breathe 'a mountain bike'

horse 'you BASTARD!!!' she yelled as she slapped me hard across the face
me 'come on its not even...' another slap came across my cheek loosening a tooth (shes made of steel)
horse 'after all weve been through your going to throw me away for a.. A FAT UGLY MOUNTAIN BIKE!!' she yelped as tears ran down the fork
me 'come on its nothing personal, its just that im not sure you can handle..' she cut me off again
horse 'listen to me papi' she said sternly as she looked into my eye, 'go get me a 700 x 28 tyre for my front..'
me 'but that will rub your brakes?!'
horse 'JUST DO IT' she shouted, 'and i promise ill get you anywhere on earth that you want to go'
me 'but...'
horse 'DO IT!'

me after thinking for a moment i said in a soft voice 'even loas?'
horse 'even loas' she assured me with a faint smile

while we were embracing i did wonder what all of the people around must have thought of a grown man having a deep conversation with a bicycle.. while it is legal here in australia to have relations with kangaroos provided that you rudely ignore travelers who try to say hello from their bikes and not wave back, it is however semi-illegal to be seen in public talking to a bicycle.. luckily there were no police around..

1 comment:

Leon said...

If you simply release the brake cable tension, you will afford yourself more room (typically). you really might want to invest in a couple of spokes before you head into the 3rd world daddy. All it takes is one camel to throw you off the sandpath into a landmine to lose one.