2/6/11

Yogyakarta to Bandung...

Everyday I'm reminded that I am cycling across java in the rainy season, but the scenery is no less beautiful and it's kinda nice not to get sunburn everyday. The hilly trip from Yogya in Central Java to Bandung in west Java is about 350k and took me about 6 days. It's pretty wild how you can cross a river and the language and culture changes so dramatically (Javanese to Sundanese) and the kind people in Central Java make the trip not only very comfortable but extremely enjoyable. A highlight was stopping to take photos at a river near Kubamen and a really nice guy, Dwi, stopped and insisted that I stay the night in his family's home, which turned out to be an old school traditional Javanese home in a small quiet village. Dwi teaches at a local elementary school and in the morning I came and gave a motivational speech in Indonesian to 150 kids!! It was really fun and definitely kept me smiling for the remainder of the day...














1 comment:

Swaggie said...

Good on you Mike, I'm sure those kids will remember your visit for a long time.
Looks like you are still riding the same bike you had in NZ