1/29/11

SINGAPORE

I had to go to Singapore to try to get a new Indonesian visa, which proved not possible in my case for various preventable reasons... Anyway I had low expectations about Singapore because of all the things I've heard (i.e. crimeless, ultra-modern, clean, authoritarian, etc) but it turned out to be an amazing place in many ways and I will never again write a place off that I have never been based on things I've heard (except maybe Cleveland?)... I stayed with 2 cyclists, Chuen and Yann, who are both really cool Singaporean guys who are way into cycling...
Here are some noteworthy things I learned about Singapore:

-Cars over 10 years old are illegal.
-There is virtually no poverty, and a very strong economy.
-Singapore is full of stunningly beautiful Chinese and Indian women.
-Of all the subway systems I've ever been on, Singapore's is probably the easiest and most efficient.
-Little India kicks ass.
-Singapore is made up mostly of Chinese, Indian, and Malay and has a very interesting mix of cultures, languages, and religions.
-If you get caught with drugs you get hanged.
-When it comes to consumerism Singapore is in a league of her own.
-Singaporeans LOVE their electronics, I was stared at on the train while reading a book as though I was listening to an 8 track player...








No comments: