3/23/11

Heading north up the West Coast...

I had more than 500 miles of beautiful coast heading north towards the infamous Lake Toba. A highlight was spending a week in a city called Bengkulu where I met so many wonderful people. Here are some photos/notes:

A smoky village at dawn...

Bathing in the 'Prisoner's well' at a small jail near the city of Padang..

Sunsets like this, combined with sounds of water hitting rocks and a fresh breeze, are a prelude to beautiful dreams in my hammock under the stars... Proving again that the best things in life are in fact free...

This is definitely not the most enticing looking water that I've ever bathed with, but hey, beggars can't be choosers!

Water pounding the rocky coastline..

I was pedaling along in my normal hazy trance admiring the beautiful landscape when I noticed that the road ahead had fallen into the ocean!!!

A very lonely boulder stranded in the Indian Ocean.. I feel you buddy..

The main reason for my slow pace up the west coast was that everyday I would stumble upon places like this and spend the entire afternoon swimming!


I slept in this quiet spot on the beach every night for a week while in the city of Bengkulu... Still trying to figure out why on earth anyone would pay money to sleep indoors!?!?!

Pictured here with my Sundanese mother in Bengkulu. I ate breakfast here everyday because she has the best 'nasi uduk' (coconut rice) I've ever had. She was such a sweet lady and she would never let me pay saying 'you're my son, you don't pay.'

I met dozens of friends during my week in Bengkulu, but I will definitely miss Nia (aka frenchy) and Serly the most.. They are great girls and we hung out together almost everyday.. Great memories.

Hanging with Serly at the beach in Bengkulu...

No comments: