12/31/10

CELTA course; A month in Bandung

I decided to get an English teaching certificate here in Indonesia to ensure work in other parts of the world (Cambodia, China, Europe?) and after extensive research there seemed to be only two worth getting, the CertTesol or the CELTA, so I chose the CELTA. The certificate is through Cambridge in England which offers many International locations to take the course. I was very skeptical handing over a very large sum of money to a British Organization because, as history shows, the British can hardly be trusted (just ask the Maori, Aboriginals, Native Americans, Ect...). So with a 'these British bastards better not rip me off' attitude I set out for West Java and took the very intense one month course. All jokes aside the course definitely exceeded my expectations as it was very thorough and I learned an enormous amount about both the English Language, and how to teach it. This came at the expense of 10-16 hour days, lots of writing assignments, and a grueling daily teaching practice which was observed by the tutors and my peers. I was very fortunate to take the course alongside 9 other teachers, all of whom were so cool and such a pleasure to be around. I was the only one (or two?) that had no previous teaching experience and everyone was so helpful and supportive. The day the course ended I immediately missed all of my new friends!!!!

Special thanks to Ophel in Bandung for sponsoring me at Immigration and to Charli in Surabaya for support and putting me up to the whole thing





No comments: